Sometimes the moments that challenge us the most, define us



Deena Kastor

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Not the end of the World

"Running is real and relatively simple....but it ain't easy"  Mark Will-Weber

Yesterday we decided to cancel the event in April. I have an injury that is not going to heal in time for me to run. For several weeks now I kept hoping that everything was going to work out and that this was just a small glitch in this whole process. But it turned out to be more than that and although I am extremely disappointed, there are many things I have enjoyed throughout this journey.

I have been running for almost fifteen years and after awhile it just became more of a habit than a passion. I felt like I had to run because I was a runner-which made it alot less enjoyable. But training for this event really brought back my deep love for the sport. It felt as if I transcended from being "a runner" to actually become "running". As difficult as it is to explain, I am sure there are many of you who understand what I am talking about. I have read stories of people who climb to the summit of Mt. Everest and being unable to describe how or what they felt. Sometimes its the same with running.

The support I received and continue to receive from family, friends, and co-workers has been incredible. I have enjoyed sharing my small triumphs along the way as I gradually increased my mileage each week. This is going to start sounding like an Oscar acceptance speech but really, I am so thankful that my husband was there for me at every long run-whether he was bringing me water or just checking to make sure I was still alive. I'm sure he is a little relieved  by the fact that we won't have to eat so much pasta for a while:)

And I have really enjoyed writing this blog. Some people have told me that I make them laugh. That is good for me to hear and I hope I can continue to do that in some way. I don't know, maybe I'll write a book some day.

So, I have had some great runs, alot of time to myself. I learned how to pee and run at the same time-not something everyone needs to know how to do but believe me, it was necessary at the time. I know my body, and I know its ability to heal itself over time. It won't be long before I'm running again. At this point I am not sure whether I will continue with this blog. I will give it some thought.

More importantly, I have not forgotten the reason we began this journey. I was running to support child abuse awareness and prevention. I will continue my work towards reducing the number of deaths we have in the U.S. from child abuse. Maybe in the future there wouldn't be any reason to run four marathons unless it was just for fun.

Take care everyone......and run a few extra miles for me ok? :)))

Cheers,

Patty

2 comments:

  1. Just in case this is your last blog Patty I wanted to tell you I have enjoyed following you on your journey. You are a very inspiring individual with such a big heart. I am sure that with your work, you have already helped more children than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete