Sometimes the moments that challenge us the most, define us



Deena Kastor

Sunday, October 3, 2010

How many GU's does it take?

I took the advice of a wonderful co-worker of mine and started a blog.  This will be my first post.  Some of you may be wondering about the title of this post and ask, "What in the world is GU?"  GU is an energy gel, made up of glucose polymers (or something like that), some salt, potassium, and other stuff.  I use it for my long runs to keep me going and to avoid having to eat food while running.  Some people find it absolutely revolting, but I could not run without it.  Anyway.....one of the primary reasons for this blog is to share with others my journey through training and ultimately accomplishing my Run 4 for Children. I plan to run four marathons in four days in order to raise money and more importantly raise awareness of child abuse in Oregon. 

Why did I decide on four marathons ? Well, to be honest it started as eight but when I told my husband he looked at me as though it had "finally happened"-his wife had truly lost it now. So, I decided on four to represent the average of four children who die each day to abuse.  The planning has begun, including a training plan for myself.  I have a long road ahead, the event will take place at the end of April 2011 and I hope to have a few readers along the way to share this adventure with. I know at times it will be physically painful and mentally draining but I know it will not compare to the agony a child must go through when they are abused by someone who is supposed to love them.  It just has to stop.

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment