Sometimes the moments that challenge us the most, define us



Deena Kastor

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why not do a can drive instead?

I realize now that I did not give much in the way of background information on myself in the first post. I guess I assumed that the only people reading this blog would be those who know me pretty well already.  Any runner reading this can conclude many things about my personality  because we all share an abundance of commonalities-many of which of unique to runners- just as cyclists do, or perhaps anyone who shares the same passion as another.  I think it would be impossible to not reveal who I am thoughout this journey, that's what journeys are about anyway right?

One thing I do think is very important to explain is the reason I chose to run marathons for our fundraiser. Why did I choose running over something like, oh I don't know....a can drinve?  Well, I was on a long run one sunday afternoon and started thinking about two things: The movie Forrest Gump-my favorite-and then I started thinking about what my running does for other people. At this point I'm not sure it does much for others.  So I thought, how do I make this happen? How can my running help others? And that is when I decided to run for child abuse prevention and education.  It is possible to inspire others through running and if we can inspire anyone to help a child, whether its through financial means or donating a book, then I will run for as long as I possibly can.

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment